The ancient city was founded by Greek colonists from Phocaea as a base of support in the Tyrrhenian Sea to the intense trade with the Italian population.
During the colonies of Magna Graecia, Elea assumed the characteristics of an autonomous city and booming and was home to a prestigious medical school whose traditions and knowledge are considered by many the roots of the School of Medicine.
In Roman times saw changed his name to Velia and famous people including Cicero and Horace found Velia a perfect destination for their summer holidays.
The decline of Velia came with the gradual silting up of ports and the end of trade and economic wealth that they had meaning.
With the advent of Christianity became the seat of the bishop until the final depletion of the core housing due to the Saracen invasions.
The archaeological excavations began in 1921 and brought to light much of the ancient city, making it completely reconstruct the original plant.
The excavations, near the railroad and not far from Ascea Marina, can be visit every day. Ancient cities remain the Port Area Port Marina, Pink Door, Terme Hellenistic and Roman baths, the Agora, the Acropolis, the District and the Southern District Archaic. Near the entrance is a large unattended parking or shade, and a group of modern buildings of reinforced concrete, wood and glass, designed to ticketing, exhibition, restaurant, toilets and souvenirs made with funding from POR Campania 2000 - 2006 for the enhancement of the archaeological site of Velia Ascea under a project funded by the European Union. Of these, only the ticket is used, while others are in a state of neglect since their completion.
|< Prev||Next >|