It 'a monument to the open air, called a ghost town, populated only by memories and suggestions but still maintains the dignity of simple things done and a fragrance of old.
Located on a low hill at the foot of the mountains Alburni, was abandoned at the beginning of last century as a result of two orders issued by civil engineering which required the evacuation of the country at risk because of landslides.
We found almost intact the urban structure, with palaces, chapels, stately homes once inhabited by the poor peasants of the eighteenth century and a church.
Today you can relive the history of this town through historic photographs of rural life and the many objects collected and preserved in the museum of the farmhouse, set in the restored rooms of the old town hall.
The City of Roscigno is divided into two parts: Old Roscigno and New Roscigno. Roscigno Vecchio, the old town, is a village completely deserted for some time due to the presence of several landslides. The historic center of Roscigno begins to bleed around the year 1902 due to two orders of civil obliging people to transfer its current location in the country, new Roscigno. Roscigno old currently resides in a single inhabitant (Giuseppe Spagnuolo) that, after the death of Dorina, the only true last resident moved into one of the old houses, spends his days on the deserted streets of the country where, sometimes, comes some tourists , the solitary inhabitant (just over 50 years) then takes the opportunity to act as guide. In 2000 the historical center of Roscigno, had 1 inhabitant.
The town's name derives from the historical reconstruction "Russino" that appears in the writings of 1086 the ladies of "Corneto" the church of S. Venus abbey of Cava.
The first settlements, which formed one of the first towns of Old Roscigno, formed late in the year one thousand around a Benedictine monastery that was built a mile south from the place called "Piano".
The formation of the first settlements formed for logistical needs by shepherds, and cattlemen swineherds Corleto Monforte tired to walk that distance every day (about 4 miles) between the present village of Roscigno Vecchia, the old center medieval Corleto Monforte decided to build the settlements close to the Benedictine monastery and church of St. Venus.